7 Things to Do in Glastonbury in January
7 Things to Do in January in Glastonbury
There are so many things to Do in Glastonbury and in Somerset. Here are just a few I have come up with to give you some ideas. January is a great month to spend time here with us at Middlewick.
1. Climb up Glastonbury Tor.
It is said that beneath the hill there is a hidden cave where you can pass in to the fairy realm of Annwn. Open 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
2. Drink the Water from Chalice Well
Between two hills, the Tor and Chalice Hill, in Glastonbury, Somerset, there is an ancient Spring that flows from the ground in the valley. This is the Chalice Well, sometimes called ‘The Blood Well’, whose waters constantly flow at 25,000 gallons per day (13650 litres) and at a constant temperature of 52 degrees Farenheit (11 degrees centigrade).
3. View the spectacular Murmurations of the Starlings at the Avalon Marshes. The sky fills with clouds of birds every winter, huge flocks of starlings on the move, the starling murmuration.
4. Visit the Holy Thorn at Glastonbury Abbey. It flowers every Christmas and sometimes carries on through January when nothing else is flowering. A cutting of the Holy Thorn in St. John’s Church is sent to the Queen every Christmas.
5. Admire the newly renovated St John’s Church on the High Street. The recent excavations revealed a large central tower that possibly dated from C.950
6. Take in a Somerset Wassail. Somerset Rural Life Museum host a truly fantastic one every January. For more about Wassail have a read here : Wassail in Somerset
7. Enjoy a bit of peace and quiet at St. Margarets Chapel. A best kept secret in Glastonbury.
During the winter months most of our cottages are bookable by the night.
Have a look at our Special Offers page where you will find these and we will update them regularly.
You may also be Interested in...
Platinum Healing Juice Detox, Healing and Yoga Retreats at Middlewick in Glastonbury
In 2021 we welcomed Kate Tyler and her team from Platinum Healing Juice Detox, Healing and Yoga Retreats to Middlewick, [...]